[mythtv-users] separate directories and filenames

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Sep 28 21:48:08 UTC 2006

* On Thu Sep 28, 2006 at 04:03:15PM -0400, Tom Lichti wrote:
> Okay, that makes sense. The livetv stuff will never get separated from
> the recordings directory (unless you care to code that yourself), so
> don't even bother trying to do that. DVD rips should go to the video

This isn't true.  The concept of "Storage Groups" has been presented and
discussed multiple times and this would allow you to create a Storage
Group and corresponding directory for LiveTV and as many other locations
as you want.

I believe this is one of the reasons why Isaac recommended against using
the current multiple-recordings patch, because we'd like to see Storage
Groups implemented.  A Storage Group could include mutliple recording
directories or a single directory.  Recordings could be balanced between
recording directories using various methods (most free space, least
recordings, local preferred over remotely mounted, etc.).

I've been updating my notes on this concept recently and it is quickly
moving to the top of my TODO list, so it will come about, possibly before
0.21, but I'm not promising anything.

I also am considering giving the ability to move a recording from one
group to another via a builtin Job through the JobQueue.

--
Chris