[mythtv-users] Use Myth to digitize VHS/analog media?

catfish catfish at halfdone.com
Thu Sep 28 23:34:36 UTC 2006

> Can I use MythTV to digitize my old VHS collection?
> It seems feasible, but I am a bit stumped.
> My capture card is a PVR-350 and I am interested in using the analog
> "break-in" box.

Yeap, I actually do the same thing. I set my up with 0.19 and I think
it's even easier under 0.20.

My setup is FC4, Mythtv 0.20.20060828-3 (recent atrpm), pvr-350. USA.

I bought the secondary header from hauppauge and connected it to my
pvr-350 and connected the composite to my av switch box (which switches
between my vcr, vidcam, game consoles..etc).

I believe with 0.20 you just need to run mythtvsetup->video
sources->Create a new source. I named it AV Input, set no grabber, and
default freq.

composite2). I called it AV Input again, set the video source, set
channel script to "/bin/true" (important!). I also set the channel start
at 0 (match channel to the next part).

Next go back to Channel Editor->Add a new channel. Name the channel
(mine in AV Input), give it a channel number (mine in 0, match previous
paragraph), set a call sign (mine AV INPUT), check visible, might want
to check commercial free, then set your video source. The rest I left
defaults.

In myth you can either use the Channel Tuner button the switch between
tv and the vcr or channel to channel 0. I use the channel 0 to save a
button on my remote.

Note that there is a delay of about 4 seconds from what the vcr (or
anything else) is shown on the screen, about 1sec from the pvr, 3sec
from mythtv buffering. I find it best to setup mythtv to record then hit
play on the vcr. Do any editing on the computer.