[mythtv-users] Running as root

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 02:12:03 UTC 2006

> 4.  Does setting the "sticky bit" (with a chmod +s) allow mythfrontend and
> mythbackend to attain root privileges whenever they want?  And, if so, do
> these program know when to do this?

That means they run as root no matter which user invoked them. So when
they run they will always be running as root. You shouldn't need to
set the stick bit for mythbackend as it gets started from init as
root.

> 5.  Are there any differences in running programs while logged on as root as
> opposed to logging on as mythtv and su'ing to root without the - parm?

Not using "-" means thet the root login scripts don't run (I think).
So root's normal environment variables, aliases etc won't be set. And
it doesn't change dir to root's home, it stays in the current dir.

Regards,
Phill