[mythtv-users] Running as root

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Fri Sep 29 06:54:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 03:12:20PM -0400, Michael Lynch wrote:
> I've got auto-login as root working on Slackware 10.2 with fluxbox.  I
> forget where I found the info, but here it is:
>
> =====Relevant sections of /etc/initab:=====
> # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
> id:4:initdefault:
> x1:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.xinit

Technically speaking, you're not actually doing an "auto-login as
root".  What you're doing is bypassing the entire concept of logins
and simply taking advantage of the fact that the init process
already runs as root and therefore all child processes inherit root
capabilities.  Normally the child process you interact with would
be a login manager (like getty or xdm), and it would change the UID
of the child shell after you authenticate.  Auto-login in that
scenario means that the login manager skips the authentication
stage and forks a child with a UID other than root.  Telling the
getty/xdm program to "autologin as root" is disabled not just
because of religion but also because it's a completely pointless
exercise when someone with root access can simply change inittab as
you have done.  The people who wrote those login programs know that
a competent administrator can already bypass the authentication
stage and start a root shell, and removing the "--autologin root"
option simply prevents less competent people from taking careless
security risks.