[mythtv-users] .20 needing more CPU than .19? (My upgrade story)

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Fri Sep 29 13:46:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, September 29, 2006 05:54, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> H P Ladds wrote:
>> Short answer: yes, I'm seeing high CPU usage.
>>
>> Long answer: I'm not certain .20 is to blame.  I noticed considerably
>> reduced performance after switching from a Knoppmyth to FC 5 install on
>> a AMD 64 3500+. nVidia FX 5200, pcHDTV hd3000, 1 gig ram machine. The
>> last time I used the Knoppmyth setup was to watch the finals of the US
>> Open Tennis with OTA High Def. It worked beautifully.
>>
>> Since then I when to FC 5 / MythTV .20 and have trouble bringing in
>> regular SD with out stutter and freeze. CPU is commonly above 85%.
>
> I am certain it's .20, as it was a fresh compile of .20 on the exact
> same hardware and OS install.  Nothing else had changed.
>
> I did notice that the sound drop out problems I was having were not
> quite as bad with the last version I tried (I'm using .20-fixes), and
> that was a few revs ago.  When I get a chance, I'll try the latest one I
> have (11326 as of this writing, I see that 11327 was committed a bit
> ago), and it seems to address the OSD always being drawn issue, which I
> never noticed before.
>
> .19 does reflect about 10% more CPU usage when viewing one particular
> channel, so if .20 does require more CPU, I may be stuck with .19, or
> trying other more expensive options (splitting the BE/FE, buying new kit
> to give it more grunt, etc).

In view of all this: how can I be sure that Myth is using the XvMC
hardware accelleration in the NVidia driver/hardware?

All I see in the FE logs is an error on XvMC init, but does that mean it
doesn't use it at all, or just that a certain feature isn't available??

I'll be happy to send the log if anybody wants to see it...

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250