[mythtv-users] High xorg CPU utilization on certain OTA channels

AWC Lists maillists at awcconsulting.com
Fri Sep 29 15:51:27 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 9/29/06, AWC Lists <maillists at awcconsulting.com> wrote:
>> Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> Both 720p, try disabling deinterlacing and see what happens.
>> I have tried turning off deinterlacing and there is no noticeable
>> difference in CPU utilization.  It still stutters.
>>
>> I believe some other channels I get are 720p as well.  (CBC Canada,
>> CityTV and CTV - Toronto stations).  But I could be wrong - it there a
>> way to determine what the stream is in MythTV or from a command prompt?
>>
>> When I playback 720p content recorded from ABC and Fox on MythTV it does
>> not stutter at all.  (I do not transcode my recordings... I only run add
>> detection.)  Just live TV viewing is causing xorg to spike in utilization.
>
> First, make sure your using the ATRPMs that fixed the not-using MMX
> issue (search the mailinglist for more info).
>
> The other possibility, if its your Xorg use spiking, is that I find
> when theres glitches in the stream it causes Xorg use to spike, so
> possibly this is the issue? check the backend log (not sure which -v
> option it is, but one will show stream errors)

I have latest ATRPMS - I experienced the version with the MMX issue and
that caused stuttering on every channel.  I have the latest MythTV
release on ATRPMS as of yesterday.  (I took the risk and ran yum update
yesterday in the hopes it would be resolved.)

Could a very strong signal cause this type of problem?  Ie:
Overpowering things?  Both ABC and FOX are coming in at 96% signal
strength according to dtvsignal.  A few other channels come in this
strong... but they are fine.

I forgot to mention the machine with the stuttering is a frontend only.

My first email should have said the OTA ATSC cards are on a backend
server.  I guess I was a little tired when I wrote the first message.

Should I check the logs on the backend?  (Which is lucky to see 10% CPU
utilization even when recording three HD shows simultaneously.)  Or
should I look at the frontend?  (In which case where would I look for
log entries on a frontend only?)

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers.