[mythtv-users] LIRC Problem, MTV.20, FC5

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 20:55:37 UTC 2006

Yesterday, I wrote to moan about yum dependency problems - and the
recommendation was to switch to smart.

Thank you.  Smart works like a charm.

I've moved along through Jarod Wilson's how-to on FC5.  I've followed the
script faithfully.

I installed lirc via smart using the commands:

# smart install lirc-kmdl-$KVER
# smart install lirc

Everything went smooth, with no error messages.

When I started the lirc daemon using "/sbin/service lircd start", the
command prompt returns with no message (no OK or FAILED).

Eyeballing the log  at /var/log/messages, I could not see any entries
relating to lirc. "cat /var/log/messages | grep lirc" also came up empty.

Further inspection shows that there were no lirc devices created.  "ls -l
/dev/lir* returns nothing.

And "lsmod" does not list any modules relating to lirc.

So I tried a "smart reinstall" for both of the above files.  No change.

Next I performed a "smart remove" for both followed by a "smart install".
No change.

Is there a problem with the package?  I noticed that on Sept 21, trey at
verustech posted a message detailing the same symptoms.  In reading his
post, it appears that he downloaded the tarball and compiled his own files.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

In case it matters, I am running 2.6.17-1.2187 on and AMD64 machine.

Tom