[mythtv-users] Anybody using an Xbox360 universal remote?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 2 20:47:23 UTC 2007

On 04/02/2007 03:20 PM, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
>> From what I can gather, it uses RC-6. so it won't work with the Hauppauge
>> IR sensor (the Hauppauge sensor, unless they changed it in the PVR-150,
>> uses RC-5).  It might work with the MCE receiver (as it uses RC-6), but I
>> have no proof of that.  It can, however, be used with a receiver like the
>> irman that accepts any signal.
> I think this is an important point:  the IR receiver (the actual thing
> that's on the end of a wire that plugs into the PVR card) doesn't care
> about RC-5, RC-6, etc.  It's a pretty passive device that just captures
> the IR.  The circuitry that's on the _card_ is the one that only
> understands RC-5 IR protocol.  That's why you can take the IR receiver
> and use it with the simple IR detector circuit on the lirc homepage.

Do you mean you can hack the "plugs into the PVR-x50 card" cable off the
Hauppauge receiver and wire the unit directly into DCD, RTS, and GND on
a serial port or do you mean that you can remove the IR receiver IC
itself from inside the plastic case and use it to build
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html (rather than buying the Vishay TSOP
1738 or whatever).

If the first, I wasted my time building my own IR receiver that I only
needed to record my remotes for transmitting (and I need to get my wire
cutters so I can play with my old Hauppauge receivers).  Also, if the
first, a mentioned on the LIRC site somewhere would have been nice.
(Maybe I'll send an e-mail.)

Mike