[mythtv-users] FireWire: Comcast removing 5C, channel changing now 100%

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 21:47:26 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> says:
> > I'm in a somewhat large city in the North Eastern US.
>
> Sorry about that; I for some reason thought you'd said in the past
> that you were in the San Francisco Bay area. That said, progress
> anywhere is a step towards progress everywhere.

I'm amazed you bother keeping track of that kind of thing =)

> > Since using single packet method in 6200ch I've had one bad channel
> > change on the cumulative use of both my DCT6200's in the last 127+
> > days.
>
> You and I always had different experiences with the single-packet
> method, for some reason. I might have to try it again, though; not
> sure if I've tried it with Fedora Core 6.

Could be a difference in the software on the cablebox itself as well?

> > I've installed SVN (to get the firewire features that were in the
> > mythtv-firewire branch but had since been merged)
>
> What new FireWire features does trunk have?

some fixes for how firewire recordings are handled, the inclusion of a
firewire signal monitor, tracking boxes by GUID instead of port/node
(great if you have multiple boxes connected to the same computer), etc
Most of the changes were part of ticket
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1648 from what I understand.

> > In my limited tests Sunday it seems to work a good deal better than
> > 0.20-fixes for firewire recordings for me (I had lots of problems
> > before), making my firewire HDTV recordings as good as my ATSC tuner
> > cards (I have signal issues that Comcast refuses to fix that cause
> > bad packets every so often, worse during prime time...).
>
> Hmm. In my experience, under 0.20-fixes my ATSC recordings, barring
> another issue like transient signal reception, always come in at the
> stated elapsed time -5 to +3 seconds. With my current RAID 5/6 setup,
> FireWire recordings usually come in at -5 seconds under elapsed time
> or fewer, but sometimes I see more, up to -30; I'll have to check and
> see if the time of day affects this.

My problem is, mine will be short anywhere from 5seconds to 5
minutes!(never too long) Usually closer to 5-10 seconds, with
noticeable interruptions in the datastream for longer incorrect times.
It gets worse during Prime Time, even if I'm only recording one show
at the given time, as well some channels (frequencies) are worse than
others on those days.

> > That said, I love being able to record InHD and MTV-HD,
>
> [...]
>
> Now you finally get a firsthand taste of what I'm always gushing
> about. It's a pity you don't have HDNet Movies; I'd gladly give up all
> my other non-movie HD cable channels over losing that.

I'd love HDNet for MLS games, other than that I don't really know what
I'm missing. InHD has this new Mojo thing, which actually has some
decent shows (Beer Nutz, London Live).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!