[mythtv-users] Kick around an idea for MythTV

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 09:59:17 UTC 2007

It's not a bad idea (conceptually). But I would rather have the possibility to toggle on/off such a feature. I really think that in the long run, I would grow tired of having the temp. of the HD or whatnot always displayed.  If you now talk about RSS flux, I think it's worse, your eyes would be constantly caught by the frequent updates of the news feed, a bit like the bottom banner you see on CNN or other major news media. If you can toggle  it on/off, then I agree with your idea. Personally, I'd rather have a chat window so you can "bitch" online about the show you're actually watching ;)

Along these ideas, it would be nice to be able to exchange e.g. video playback snapshots, familly pics, etc, with remote friends via some parallel chat system, within mythtv (like in the framed window you propose). All this of course driven by a simple button press on your remote or wireless keybd / mouse.

J.

Brent <brent at brentnorris.net> wrote: I have a wide screen TV, but a lot of my content still comes in from
DirectTV via a PVR500.  That means that I end up watching a lot of shows
with two black bars on the sides.  While I was staring at the screen
today I realized that there could be information in those sections (a la
24 hour news scroll bar).  You could have anything over there RSS feeds,
Backend info, CPU Temp, HD space...

Then I got to thinking:  There really is no reason that the video has to
be in the middle with bars on the sides.  That seems like a holdover
from a more "analog" age. Why not move it over against one edge and
merge the black space.  Then you might have enough room for things like
webpages or emails.  I notice that I listen to shows a lot while I am
churning through my email (a lot from this list) or reading Wikipedia
articles or something.  There might be the potential to do this on one
machine now.  Other than there not being code in MythTV to do this is
there a reason that the picture would have to be in the middle like
that, or that there couldn't be other things on the screen?

Just something I thought might be neat to have and I haven't seen a lot
else that does things like that.

Brent