[mythtv-users] How do I kill a Live TV connection?

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 3 16:38:49 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/03/2007 11:15 AM, Andrew Robinson wrote:
>> I thought I had made the point fairly carefully that there were no
>> **in-progress recordings** in progress.
>
> You kept saying *connections*.  I thought I made it fairly clear that
> it's not connections you should delete when I corrected your terminology
> in the first response to your original post.
>
> At that point, had you rephrased your question, to make it clear that
> you knew you were looking for, but couldn't find, recordings, I would
> have explained how to view LiveTV recordings in the list.

Michael, in your first response, all you did was accuse me of not
reading the error message. Yet in my original question, I indicated I
had been all through the front end looking for something to delete and
found nothing that corresponded to the Live TV.

The error message says "If you want to watch live TV, cancel one of the
in-progress recordings from the delete menu." The answer proved to be go
to Manage Recordings -> Watch Recordings -> <press the "m" key> ->
select the group option -> change to Live TV -> select the delete option
from the menu. I'm sorry but that's a tough interpretation from "cancel
one of the in-progress recordings from the delete menu". If you had
stated something like, "you need to find the Live TV in-progress
recordings by changing the group filter", that would have been a useful
response.

OK, at this point I realize I'm in a pissing contest and I'm driving it.
But this raises a bigger issue for me. How do I ask a question and get a
straightforward answer without getting belittled in the process? I do
attempt to do some research before posting a question. Then I try to
make my questions as concise and focused as I can. I asked two of them
last night and you dinged me on both. Yet in neither case was the answer
as straightforward as your dings made them out to be. Do you want me to
include the details of everywhere I have looked and everything I have
tried? I have done that in the past and the questions turned out so long
that few people would take the time to even read the post. I don't like
pissing contests like this one. I just want answers to questions. How do
I ask the question to get an answer?

BTW, I do technical support at Network Appliance, so I think I have some
appreciation for your side of the issue as well. My question is a
serious one.

Andrew Robinson