[mythtv-users] How do I kill a Live TV connection?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 3 17:26:35 UTC 2007

On 04/03/2007 12:38 PM, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 04/03/2007 11:15 AM, Andrew Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I had made the point fairly carefully that there were no
>>> **in-progress recordings** in progress.
>>>
>> You kept saying *connections*.  I thought I made it fairly clear that
>> it's not connections you should delete when I corrected your terminology
>> in the first response to your original post.
>>
>> At that point, had you rephrased your question, to make it clear that
>> you knew you were looking for, but couldn't find, recordings, I would
>> have explained how to view LiveTV recordings in the list.
> Michael, in your first response, all you did was accuse me of not
> reading the error message.
My response is at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/261582#261582

See those non-quoted lines (i.e. those attributed to me) in between the
quoted lines (i.e. those attributed to you)?  Specifically, "the tuner,"
and, "delete (or cancel) the recording."  I was trying to use those to
at least change your question to a more reasonable question, or, better,
show you how the right terminology makes your question answer itself.

In other words, watch for inline posting, too.

>  Yet in my original question, I indicated I
> had been all through the front end looking for something to delete and
> found nothing that corresponded to the Live TV.

But you specifically said, "connection."

> The error message says "If you want to watch live TV, cancel one of the
> in-progress recordings from the delete menu." The answer proved to be go
> to Manage Recordings -> Watch Recordings -> <press the "m" key> ->
> select the group option -> change to Live TV -> select the delete option
> from the menu. I'm sorry but that's a tough interpretation from "cancel
> one of the in-progress recordings from the delete menu". If you had
> stated something like, "you need to find the Live TV in-progress
> recordings by changing the group filter", that would have been a useful
> response.
>
> OK, at this point I realize I'm in a pissing contest and I'm driving it.
> But this raises a bigger issue for me. How do I ask a question and get a
> straightforward answer without getting belittled in the process?

I'm just trying to indicate that terminology is important.  Now that you
know the process, do you think, "Just delete the connection," would be a
good response to someone else who encounters the same error?  I would
say, "No," because a) it's not a "connection" (though there may be
connections of some sort or another involved) and b) the word
"connection" never appears in any of the menus.

See the difference?

>  I do
> attempt to do some research before posting a question. Then I try to
> make my questions as concise and focused as I can. I asked two of them
> last night and you dinged me on both. Yet in neither case was the answer
> as straightforward as your dings made them out to be. Do you want me to
> include the details of everywhere I have looked and everything I have
> tried? I have done that in the past and the questions turned out so long
> that few people would take the time to even read the post. I don't like
> pissing contests like this one. I just want answers to questions. How do
> I ask the question to get an answer?

Your question wasn't too bad (terminology aside), but the important part
is reading carefully what the error message or the response on the list
says (not what you /expect/ it to say).

> BTW, I do technical support at Network Appliance, so I think I have some
> appreciation for your side of the issue as well. My question is a
> serious one.

And, I apologize for my overly concise response, but I thought it would
sort itself out (or at least you'd be on the right page to ask a
follow-up question about, "How do I find in-progress LiveTV
/recordings/?") once you realized you're looking for the wrong thing.

Mike