[mythtv-users] how to disable the delete recording option ?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Apr 3 23:11:43 UTC 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Pietralla, Siegfried P wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I've had someone accidentally delete some recordings when they
> finished watching them ( but before I had a chance to watch them ).
> so I'm wondering, what ideas do people have to disable delete
> functionality in mythtv. I don't think I actually need to be able
> to delete recordings as such since expiration will eventually get
> rid of things anyway.
>
> the only option I've thought of so far is to write a wrapper for
> 'rm' so that it won't do anything if run as the 'mythtv' user, but
> that would probably still delete the database entries and just
> leave the recording file lying around ( which I’d then have to find
> to watch it and manually delete ). and it would mess up other
> things like expiration and transcoding. please note that I'm
> running knoppmyth so I'm not able to amend and recompile the source
> ( otherwise I would just comment out the relevant lines in the code ).
>
> thanx.
Actually, the correct way to avoid this is to have "delete" move the
recording to a "deleted" recording group and have those recordings
expire before anything else. That way you can get it back if you
catch it before it expires. At least, in my opinion that would be the
correct way. I know it's been discussed recently and perhaps someone
is working on it?