[mythtv-users] Mythbackend stops <defunct>

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Wed Apr 4 14:43:42 UTC 2007

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.6.20.1 from a Redhat 9 system in
> order to move my DVB HD cards from my slave backend into my master
> backend.  Everything seems to be working fine except that after a period
> of time (not related to any recording schedule, just after a while) the
> backend will become unresponsive and if I shut it down, it gets stuck as
> a <defunct> process.
>
> Does anyone know what <defunct> means.  It does not let go of it's ports
> so I cannot start it back up again and it seems to hold onto the ivtv
> and dvb drivers as well which leads me to believe that it is still
> "alive" in some way.
>
> [root at mythtv root]# ps -elf | grep mythbackend
> 0 R root     11697 11484  0  78   0 -   918 -      09:13 pts/0
> 00:00:00 grep mythbackend
> 5 Z root     12262     1  1  78   0 -     0 exit   Apr02 ?
> 00:29:26 [mythbackend] <defunct>
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

It's a zombie process.

Definition: zombie: n. [Unix] A process that has died but has not yet
relinquished its process table slot (because the parent process hasn't
executed a wait(2) for it yet). These can be seen in ps(1) listings
occasionally. Compare orphan.

I get them when something fairly bad happens in myth, usually when
watching live TV.

It sucks/

Dave