[mythtv-users] Fragmentation On Recording Disk?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Apr 5 13:24:06 UTC 2007

* On Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 08:29:57AM -0400, Jason Portwood wrote:
> The containers would be created first and never grow or shrink so no
> fragmentation would occur.  New stuff goes in and older stuff falls out
> when full.  Probably not what one would want but perhaps this would be
> something worthwhile for just the recording Mythtv does on the fly
> (thinking live tv).  One container per recording stream and a defined how
> much time to allot to it.
>
> Not sure how well this would work for mpeg as usenet is just text files.
> Probably a crazy of the wall thought anyway.

Not that crazy, it's almost exactly how we used to do LiveTV.  Then we
wanted it to be more flexible and allow saving of LiveTV recordings, etc.
so the LiveTV was rewritten to be just like a normal recording.  Since
video may be compressed at different percentages and to different bitrates,
it would be impossible to say "this block is for 5 minutes", you could
only say "this block is 5 Gigs" or something like that.

All in all, it wouldn't work very well for video and we'd end up implementing
our own "filesystem" on top of the normal filesystem and we'd have the same
fragmentation issues or lots of wasted space trying to eliminate fragmentation.

--
Chris