[mythtv-users] AppleTV as mythfrontend?

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:33:59 UTC 2007

>From: Earl Shannon <Earl_Shannon at ncsu.edu>
>
>Negatives are in the eye of the beholder,
>
>Yes, its bigger.  So?  The ATV is white and the Xbox is Black.

So the xbox is flat out ugly.  I don't care about the size, but the ATV has
about a thousand times greater WAF.

>Noisier? Might be. But is an Xbox too noisy? If you can hear an Xbox
>over the people talking in your movie you've got some ears.

You're probably right on this one.

>More power.  I Don't know. It probably does. After all it does
>have that pesky optical disk in it.  May cost me a
>few extra cents a month to use an Xbox instead of the ATV.

Again no argument from me.

>Output options? How many do you need? I get Component video
>and Toslink on my Xbox with the right adapter.

I'll take HDMI any day of the week.  No adapter necessary.

>Slower Cpu and Less memory. Who cares? It's doing its job isn't it?
>Do I need a V8 with 400HP to drive to work in the morning? No.

I care.  In fact these are the main reasons I don't have an xbox frontend.
It flat out won't play HD material.  If it's possible to get hardware
accelerated video playback through the ATV's nvidia card, it could become a
great HD frontend.

>What it boils down to is what do you need, want, and can afford?
>Right now the ATV is too expensive an option to use as a
>Mythfrontend for me. If it will work for you great!

I personally think $299 is a steal if it can play HD recordings.  I have 3
times that much already invested in my backend, so comparatively that's a
good price.  Like you said it's all about what you want, need and can
afford.  The xbox will work fine for a lot of people, but it's a bust for
anyone trying to watch HD.  The ATV at least has a fighting chance on that
front.

Jake