[mythtv-users] Data Direct "service"

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Apr 5 21:48:22 UTC 2007

Tom Lichti wrote:
> Bruce Markey wrote:
>> They have since made the most minimal one line statement saying
>> that they are aware that there is a problem. They appear to be
>> trying to keep quiet about this and I won't know if they've
>> posted an acknowledgment because I am no longer allowed to
>> read their forum.
>>
> There have been no follow up posts since the two threads were closed.
> I'm afraid to even ask at this point...

Thank you, Tom. This is my initial concern. They appear to
be making a deliberate effort to keep quiet about this (based
on my my observations and no factual information). While
they were able to ban my account within five minutes (for
unknown reasons regardless of anyone's assumptions) they have
not responded to my letter to address this in over two days.
However, I assumed they would take several or more or may never
respond.

OTOH, they appear to have made progress. It would be nice if
they would tell us about that too.

Last night I had new matches for search rules that matched names
in updated descriptions for entertainment shows. This is the
first time I'd seen that in a couple weeks though these updated
show descriptions should appear regularly.

My assumption based on observation was that they were able to
add new days of information for 14 days ahead but updates to
data already entered would fail. Therefore, today's data
reflects the tentative schedule as of two weeks ago.

While shows like Entertainment Tonight have new updates to
their descriptions, shows that were incorrect that did not
have any new updates yesterday are still incorrect. Therefore,
refreshing all of your listings will not help as it would just
regrab all of the data that is still incorrect in the DataDirect
service database (as opposed to the tvlistings.com database).

If this is correct, that means that there may be some incorrect
listings that persist over the next two weeks although the
number of problems should decrease over time.

This is speculation based on my listings for today. The story
may change tomorrow.

--  bjm