[mythtv-users] Compilation Issues

Joel Means jmeans at physics.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 5 22:03:24 UTC 2007

Joel Means wrote:
> I have a question about compiling Myth.  I am working on upgrading my
> backend and separate frontend to the latest trunk from SVN.  The backend
> went fine, but I have a problem on the frontend.  The frontend is built
> on a Via MII10000 board.  Since it is still in use and is very slow to
> compile, I am just throwing together a system using another desktop.  I
> have put together a working, bootable system on the desktop and used it
> to compile and install Mythtv.  Everything works great.  So, I copied
> the system onto a compact flash card and used a cf-to-ide adapter in the
> frontend.  The system boots, but I get a segmentation fault when I try
> to run mythfrontend.  I am just wondering if this is due to Myth being
> compiled on an Athlon processor instead of on the Via itself.  I used
> "--arch=i386" in configuring mythtv to try and get around this problem,
> but I get the segmentation fault.  Is there another arch I need to use,
> or should I just leave that out, or do I have to compile it on the
> processor on which it will be used?  Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Joel

Just for the record, I did get this fixed.  I changed to using
"--arch=c3-2" for the Via C3v2 processor on my motherboard.  The
configure script said something about that not being a valid option and
disabling the "--march" option.  I guess it compiled without any
cpu-based optimizations, and that is why it worked.
Joel