[mythtv-users] CentOS and Mythtv

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Apr 5 22:31:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 04:09:58PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 05 April 2007 14:13:39 Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > RHEL4/CentOS4 blows for a backend, at least if HDTV figures into the
> > > equation. Most DVB drivers don't build on such an aged kernel.
> > > RHEL5/CentOS5 doesn't have drivers out of the box for most capture cards
> > > either, but they can be built and provided via kernel module rpms (and
> > > Axel is already planning to do so).
> >
> > You mean this? :=)
> >
> > http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/video4linux/
> > http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/ivtv/
> >
> > > EL5 should indeed make for a rather nice platform.
> >
> > I think all bits are there for CentOS5 based mythtv boxes, but
> > CentOS5. :)
>
> Gah, I should have known you already had these done (built against actual
> RHEL5), I just got hung up by the fact CentOS 5 isn't yet officially out
> yet. :)
>
> Out of curiosity, any plans to do xfs kernel modules too?

Hm, intriguing. I once did XFS enriched RHL kernels. Currently the two
former SGI people I was working with on XFS stuff sit at Red Hat
"next" to you, so perhaps you can ask them what the best route to do
so is. There is no upstream tarball of which to build xfs anymore to
speak of, the easiest would probably be to just use the RHEL5 kernel's
sources and enable XFS. Perhaps as part of
http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/kernel-suspend2/. Alternatively one could
package the XFS bits from RHEL5's kernel in kmdls.

Building the cubbi kernel with XFS is trivial, having kmdls for the
non-cubbi kernel, e.g. the vednor kernel is more involved as it needs
you to pick out XFS from the kernel sources and make it a stand-alone
buildabale out-of-tree module, but that's isn't as bad as it sound
either.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net