[mythtv-users] DVB-S cards

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sat Apr 7 07:38:22 UTC 2007

Stroller wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2007, at 18:23, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>> Further to Robert's EXCELLENT answer I think you can identify a
>>> multi-
>>> LNB because it has multiple co-ax connectors on the LNB itself.
>>>
>>> EG:
>>> Single LNB: http://tinyurl.com/2e85h6
>>> Quad LNB: http://tinyurl.com/2h7l7u
>> Don't forget Dual LNB - these are set up to point to Astra &
>> Hotbird at
>> the same time, for even more channels you don't want to watch...
>>
>> You get one cable from each LNB, so that means 2 cards, one
>> dedicated to
>> each satellite, but independantly tunable, of course.
>
> Um, doesn't this kind of LNB must have another name? "Dual satellite
> LNB", or something? I'd have assumed that a "dual-LNB" would allow my
> two tuners to watch two channels on Astra at the same time (and I'm
> sure you can get dual-LNBs like that).
>
> Is there actually any decent content on Hotbird? I can only see a
> half-dozen channels which appear to be English-language on <http://
> www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html> - although if "God TV Europe", "Arab
> Girls" and "Eurotic" really ARE free-to-air then I might be tempted!!
>
> Stroller.

Yes, I looked at the channels available on Hotbird and decided that
there wasn't really any worth having either.

I think the "Astra Hotbird LNBs" are easy to differentiate as they look
like two single LNB's glued together side by side, where as the dual
output LNB's just look like the single output LNB's but with two
connections.

Robert.