[mythtv-users] Can't record more than 1 and a half hours ofLive TV

Martin Turner xmode at westnet.com.au
Sun Apr 8 03:10:19 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Wood" <beww at beww.org>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Can't record more than 1 and a half hours ofLive
TV

> On Apr 7, 2007, at 8:45 PM, John wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> I am wondering if you could give me any hints as to why I can't get
> > MythTV to
> > record any more than 1 hour 32 minutes of Live TV. Is there a
> > setting I need
> > to change?
> >
> > If I goto "Watch Recorded Programs" after it has completed a 5 hour
> > recording, it shows the file is 13GB and 5:12:00 in length, but
> > when I look
> > at the file on the drive it is only 4GB and I can only watch
> > 1:32:42 of video.
> >
> > I'm using MythTV 0.20 on Ubuntu Linux 2.6.19 kernel, and have a 500
> > GB XFS
> > partition for recordings. Encoder is a Avermedia A16AR DVB-T Hybrid
> > PCI card.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appretiated.
> >

> I don't know much about XFS but I'd start by trying to record a file
> larger than 4GB outside of Myth. Obviously if you can't do that for
> some reason that would explain your troubles.
>
> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

Excilent advice, do that. However, XFS shouldnt be the problem..

Technical Specifications
Technology

Journaled 64-bit filesystem with guaranteed filesystem consistency.

Maximum File Size

For Linux 2.4, the maximum accessible file offset is 16TB on 4K page size
and 64TB on 16K page size. For Linux 2.6, when using 64 bit addressing in
the block devices layer (CONFIG_LBD), file size limit increases to 9 million
terabytes (or the device limits).

Maximum Filesystem Size

For Linux 2.4, 2 TB. For Linux 2.6 and beyond, when using 64 bit addressing
in the block devices layer (CONFIG_LBD) and a 64 bit platform, filesystem
size limit increases to 9 million terabytes (or the device limits). For
these later kernels on 32 bit platforms, 16TB is the current limit even with
64 bit addressing enabled in the block layer.

Filesystem Block Size

The minimum filesystem block size is 512 bytes. The maximum filesystem block
size is the page size of the kernel, which is 4K on x86 architecture and is
set as a kernel compile option on the IA64 architecture (up to 64 kilobyte
pages). So, XFS supports filesystem block sizes up to 64 kilobytes (from 512
bytes, in powers of 2), when the kernel page size allows it.

Filesystem extents (contiguous data) are configurable at file creation time
using xfsctl(3) and are multiples of the filesystem block size. Individual
extents can be up to 4 GB in size.

Physical Disk Sector Sizes Supported

512 bytes through to 32 kilobytes (in powers of 2), with the caveat that the
sector size must be less than or equal to the filesystem blocksize.