[mythtv-users] When does "Delete and Re-record" actually Re-record?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Apr 10 07:22:35 UTC 2007

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> Thank you for the clarification. Apparently it runs counter to what I've been
> expecting from the phrase "Delete and Re-record" (or the front-end wording).

I can understand your saying that. The "allow" is pivotal as
opposed to 'enforce' or something. The more typical use of this
is say a cable show is repeated several times per week. The
first showing is Tuesday night and is set to record while all
the others are flagged "E". But there is a Baseball game before
it which goes into extra innings. It records and all the others
are now marked "P". However, when I start playback, it's all
baseball. I delete and allow re-record then a showing late
night Wed is set to record. If there weren't any other showings
it might come up again weeks or months later and be recorded
by this same rule. There is no need to create a new rule or
go looking for more showings.

However, if you asked to record one showing once and you'd
like to record again, there is no rule. Time, date and channel
are undefined.

> Lately I have been using "Find One" since it lets Myth's scheduling smarts
> work better I think.

I think you're right =). I added this because other DVRs
at the time required that I get an upcoming showing list and
check one by one for a showing that didn't conflict then set
a Single record rule. If my schedule changed, I'd have to go
through the process of finding the best showing again.

FindOne is unique to myth. This gives the scheduler the same
flexibility for movies and specials to choose any showing like
an episode of a series except it will stop recording after it
succeeds once then removes the rule the next day. As the
schedule changes it may choose a different showing that is a
better fit.

> So here's my use-case - how would I set up to accommodate this?

;-)

> I have a fixed amount of space. I see something I want to record, and
> use "Find One" to grab it. Later, I'm running out of space, and want to
> sacrifice that old recording to make room for new ones. I want to re-queue it
> for whenever it comes around later, since everything that isn't live comes
> around and around and around. I don't mind the churn of recording and
> deleting and re-recording - Myth makes that so easy I don't care or want to
> add more disk.

You've gone full circle. This is the most basic, default record
behavior offered =).

Say I wanted to do this with "The Usual Suspects" which I've
thrown away twice (so far) and re-recorded. I could simply set
a rule for "Record at any time on any channel". It will find
a showing that doesn't conflict and record it. After that, any
other showings are marked as Currently Recorded forever until
I choose to delete and allow re-record. At that point it would
choose a future showing to record again and so on.

FindOne is like an All rule except that the rule is discarded
once it has successfully recorded one showing.

> I guess what I want is a rule that says "Find and record one showing of this
> title until such time as I choose to Never Record it (when I lose interest)
> or Delete it (after I've watched it)". Is there a way to do that?

First, the text wouldn't fit in the box. To stop re-recording
"The Usual Suspects", change the rule type to "Do not record
this program". In SVN/0.21 there is a shortcut where you can
press "D"elete on any item with a recording status to get a
popup to confirm that you want to delete its rule.  This is
true for the Upcoming Recordings, Set Priorities, EPG, search
results or upcoming episode lists, etc.

--  bjm