[mythtv-users] Probably a FAQ Question (HD, MythTV, Cable Card, and Comcast)

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Tue Apr 10 19:02:48 UTC 2007

Ok, after reading quite a bit, and searching quite a bit, I have come to
a few conclusions:

There is no Cable Card hardware for MythTV to use, so getting to
Comcast's HD and premium channels is not possible with a tuner card.

But -- what about using a STB and blasting IR?

What I'm trying to do is replace the dain-bramaged Comcast DVR with a
MythTV setup in my basement.  I want to install a couple of tuner cards
in my file server, and use it as a MythTV "receiver".
Then, I want to add a nice looking, small, (perhaps diskless) MythTV
display computer to my TV.

So, the receiver needs to be at least a dual-tuner setup, and needs to
record HD.

Is this possible?  I'm guessing there is a way to blast IR to two (or
more) Set Top Boxes, and to capture the output of the HD Comcast Set Top
Boxes via component, HDMI, etc.

Or, do I just need to wait patiently until there are HD tuner cards out
there with cable card support?

Let me know,

-Dave

--

David Frascone

                    Free advice is worth what you pay for it