[mythtv-users] Anyone using Ubuntu Feisty myth packages

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 02:42:00 UTC 2007

On 11/04/07, Mario Limonciello <mario.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Roo,
>
> I have toyed with the idea of doing another repository that will do
> nightly svn checkouts and builds, but then that introduces interoperability
> problems if people start to mix and match, or decide that svn isn't stable
> enough for them.
>
> Before I think too much more into the design required for nightly svn
> builds into debs, what are you looking out of building from source?  The
> fact of compiling towards a particular processor, or just the newer
> packages?  If the latter, I'll think more about the process necessary.  If
> the former, then there is little that will be doable with regard to deb
> generation.
>
> Mario

Hi Mario,

Although I have currently enabled processor optimisations that is not the
underlying reason I like to use trunk. Essentially I want the features
available in trunk and like to be able to help test. eg. With the upcoming
record multiple muxes from a single transport stream, I would like to be
able to help test the functionality of this code and offer any feedback I
can.

What I was originally thinking was of a meta package to help those that want
to compile from source to get their environment setup as quickly/easily as
possible. The actual "configure, qmake, make, make install" really isn't
that time consuming.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the devs their thoughts, do
they think that nightly SVN builds (and deb packaging) would help or hinder
their development process.

Cheers,

Roo.