[mythtv-users] Best Filesystem Type?

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Wed Apr 11 08:16:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 08:31 +0100, Dave Ansell wrote:
--snip--
>     Interesting comment on XFS.  I am getting a fair number of backend
> crashes ~2-3 per week.
>     I use XFS for the recording volume and Ext3 for everything else.
>     Do you know if XFS is still a possible cause of instability if only used
> for recordings?

I believe that most of the XFS related-issues were primarily due to some
problems with the fs driver in kernel versions prior to 2.6.18. I know
that 2.6.17 in particular actually introduced a pretty major (but
subtle) bug that could wreak havoc on your filesystem. But using .18 or
newer you shouldn't have any problems.

I switched to XFS from ReiserFS about a year and half ago, and I've had
nothing but good experiences with it. My Myth box has been using XFS
since day one with no problems.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837