[mythtv-users] Mobo recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 11 14:54:59 UTC 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:29 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> At this point the problem seems to be periodic; recordings are fine
> during the day but start to flake out in the evening.  I suspect it
> has
> to do with signal strength so I ordered power injectors for my
> antennas.  We'll see how that goes.

Although possible, it's not very likely that you are having enough
signal level variation from night to day to cause things to "flake
out". VHF/UHF signals do not depend on atmospheric layers that change
with the sun. Amplifiers might cause more problems than they solve,
by creating overloads and distortion products.

The first thing I'd look into is whether the problem is really "night
and day" or something else related to it (like perhaps you just
record more TV at night, and so statistically are more likely to see
problems). Does this happen on more than one channel?

It could even be something like your AC line voltage dropping when
everyone in your area turns on their lights, TV sets and home
computers. If your power supply is at all marginal even a slight drop
in AC voltage could cause the PSU's output to go out of regulation.
Most "flaky" computer problems are caused by power supplies in my
experience.

Obviously I can't diagnose the problem from here, but I'd put "signal
level" way down on the list of possibilities.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org