[mythtv-users] Which is better: Mythtv via component or vga/dvi?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Apr 11 18:31:16 UTC 2007

I know asking a "which is better" question is usually asking for
trouble, but I am really just looking for opinions.  The reason I am
asking is because I have a limited number of component inputs on my new
tv, and I have more pieces that have component-capable output than I
have inputs on the tv.

Currently, I have my mythtv box connected via component video, and the
picture is beautiful.  The set supports VGA input, and, as can be seen
from a previous thread, I'm still tinkering to get the picture via that
medium to play nicely. My other set is also connected via VGA, and it
wasn't until today that I finally narrowed down the problem with my
configuration: incorrect modeline setting (of course, I have to test
this, but I believe it is the problem).

However, that got me thinking: is component video any better or worse
than pumping the video over VGA?  Does one buy you anything that the
other does not?  Or am I basically comparing apples to apples?

-Rich