[mythtv-users] Building a FrontEnd Box (please help)

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Thu Apr 12 23:33:27 UTC 2007

There was a thread on this list back the beginning of March discussing
a FE Box (FrontEnd Box) that Shane Hickey wanted to build to replace a box
that died.  I would like to get some similar comments on a box that I want
to build.

The difference here is that everything I have is Intel, and I would hate
to have this one box be AMD unless there are really good reasons to go
that way.

Also, it is my intention that this box be diskless (Ill assume that the
BIOS can boot from the ethernet) so that will save some power and heat,
booting from the BE.

<comments?>

Ive always had machines built for me by the local Computer Shop, so have
never had to worry about compatability (...what would you suggest...)
so I may be proposing something thats not going to work, Let me know.

<comments?>

**BOX**
OK, assume the

    Antec NSK2400 box at about #90.

from the project mentioned above It takes a MicroATX motherboard.

<comments?>

---

**Motherboard**
For the MotherBoard I see the Intel MicroATX BOXDG965SSCK for about $102
This is a socket LGA 775 board, with
    Intel GMA x3000 video (ICH8)
    Sigmatec STAC 9227 (5.1) audio
    6x USB ports
    3x Audio Ports
    1x PCIEx 16x port
    2x PCI ports
    ethernet
    1x PATA
    4x SATA

Frankly, I had intened to use a Nvidia video card (not chosen yet,
suggestions?),
and a SoundBlaster so Im not too worried about how well these two items are
supported.
Ive seen some comments saying that the motherboard and video and audio were not
supported, but that was several kernel revisions ago, I *think* they are ok in
the 2.6.20
kernel.

<comments?>

---

**CPU**
I cant see any advantage to using a dual core processor in this machine.  It
would
be *nice* to have two processors working from the same memory image, but thats
not
going to be the case.   So, I would suggest

    Intel P4 631 (3.2GHz 60nm)  at about $75

<comments?>

---

**Memory**
Either 1 or 2GB of memory

	2x 512kB        at $94
  or    2x 1GB          at $272 (faster)

<comments?>

---

**Sound**
Either the onboard or a SoundBlaster Live!, I think I have an extra around the
house

<comments?>

---

**Video**

Either the onboard or a current NVidia chip set, I havent looked at this at
all, will
assume that I can use the onboard at least initially.

<comments?>

---

**Keyboard**
I assume I need a (cheap) keyboard to even boot Linux, so preferably a *small*
one that
I can hide behind things.

I assume that a *wireless* keyboard is not going to work, since it wont be
active till
after the boot.  But it would be nice tho to work from the recliner rather
than up front on
my knees in front of the cpu when I needed to interact with Linux/MythTV with
a keyboard.

Can I have both?
Are these things just UV/IR (whichever) or are their RF units too?

<comments?>

---

**Remote**
I have an RF remote that I will be moving to the machine.  It sits on a USB
port so no
problem there.

<comments?>

---

That would seem to be about it.
I havent been abole to run down power requirements for the above (CPU, ...) so
Im not
100% sure that the 380w power supply in the box can carry the load, but that
seems a
pretty hefty power supply so Ill guess that it can.

As noted, ANY AND ALL comments will be appreciated.  This project has been
sitting on
a back burner while Ive had problems with MythTV, but over the last couple
three months
its seemed to be relatively stable, so Im ready to pull in a new ethernet
cable from the
Den (BE) to the living room (FE) and get this show on the road...

					Reg.Clemens
					reg at dwf.com