[mythtv-users] Help sponsor MythTVMultiplex.

Marko Nurmenniemi marko.nurmenniemi at kolumbus.fi
Fri Apr 13 14:37:36 UTC 2007

johnny wrote:
> Chad wrote:
>>> Is it true that guy behind this is Mr Christer Åkers, who also own company
>>> Edge Innovations (http://www.edgeinnovations.fi/)...
>
> Yes its true.

This is good news to me, the more interested people we have the better
chance to get improvements to source.

>> ...If your intent is to
>> "bring to light" the fact that this feature makes it so a company is
>> potentially benefiting from this...

This to me is the power of Linux (...GPL) as long as the code still GPL
also after the "commercial" implementation this is excellent.

I have 100% better feeling when I'm supporting other Myth users (with my
25€) than buying the latest from "Windows/closed source" and this is
what is happening. I'm NOT handing out money to the mentioned company,
this is a improvement I'm investing and they have promised to deliver.
The community will benefit more than any single company from this.

Buying closed source SW-products is like burning money in comparison.

Actually, if you guys actually release a HTPC with a reasonable price
tag please send me a mail...

> This is not only because of respecting the GPL it is also because when
> the code is in mainstream it is part of the Mythtv echo system and can
> be improved further.

And then to the claim that this is a trick to get the SW-development
cheap...
OK, seems smart thinking to me.
As mentioned, from my point of view this is a good deal.