[mythtv-users] HDDs optimised for PVRs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 14 01:53:34 UTC 2007

On 04/13/2007 08:41 PM, Ben Lancaster wrote:
> Just spotted this on the reg:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/13/wd_av_hd/
>
> Doesn't make much sense to me, do you think they'll be worth the money?

What I want to know is where they've found a provider actually
transmitting high-definition video at the bitrate they mention: "500GB –
enough for up to 30 hours of HD video" which works out to 16 2/3GB per
hour. Converting from GB to GiB, that's 15.5GiB per hour. The highest
bitrate channels I see are about 8.5GiB/hour and that's US MPEG-2 as
opposed to the UK's MPEG-4 AVC (H.264).

Mike