[mythtv-users] partitioning scheme

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Sat Apr 14 23:50:30 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 17:20 -0500, matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm about to set up a new hard drive for my parents' MythTV system.
> I'm just wondering what kind of partitioning scheme is the "best"
> for a Myth system?
>
> I know there's no single "best" way, I'm just trying to figure out
> what the pros and cons of doing it one way or the other are.
>
> For every Linux machine I've ever built, I've always used separate
> partitions for /, /boot, /usr, /tmp, /var, /home and swap (swap
> obviously has to be its own partition).  But I feel like this may
> not be the most optimal use of space.
>
> It's 500 GB drive, and I'll be running Gentoo.

Step 1, use LVM. You'll save yourself MANY MANY MANY headaches in the
future.

I prefer to keep /home, /tmp, and /usr/local as separate partitions,
with everything else going to root. Depending on where you have Myth
store it's files, you may want to modify that accordingly. (Almost all
of my myth-related stuff goes to /home/mythtv.)

I try to always make sure that configuration and data are separate. That
way, if my machine ever dies, I can just grab a recent backup of /etc (I
do nightly automated svn commits of my /etc directory), copy it over to
another machine with the same packages installed, mount /home, and off I
go. (In the case of a Debian system this becomes even easier due to dpkg
--get-selections and --set-selections so that I can be sure I have all
of the same software installed between different systems.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837