[mythtv-users] Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat Apr 14 23:59:15 UTC 2007

On 04/14/2007 10:35 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> A few times now, MythTV decided it would not record an episode of
> Grey's Anatomy because the same episode is on again a week later.
> The scheduled recordings screen says something like "won't record -
> later showing", and shows it plans to record the week after.
> There are no conflicts (Grey's is one of two shows I record that
> day, and I have three tuners).
> So why does mythtv insist on recording an episode a week late

I can think of several possible reasons:

1) If you've given your tuners different priorities, MythTV will
   favor the higher-priority tuner(s) even if it means recording
   a later showing. If your preference for one tuner over another
   is less than your desire to get early showings, give the tuners
   equal priorities, but number them in your preference order.
   Reserve the tuner prioritization for things like a tuner that
   produces a significantly worse picture than the others or one
   that's unreliable.

2) I'm not 100% positive of this, but I believe that if you
   schedule a show for weekly recording you can get something
   like this if you've recorded another episode less than a
   week before the one that's gotten bumped. I use the "record
   any time" option instead of weekly, daily, etc. If guide
   data were unreliable I might use weekly or daily recordings,
   but not for shows with reliable data.

3) Conflicts are obviously a possibility you've considered. Be sure
   padding isn't causing problems -- if a show before or after the time
   slot with two recordings is padded into the period in question, it
   could cause a show to get bumped.

4) If your tuners have different sources (digital vs. analog cable, say),
   that can cause problems, particularly if a channel's been mistakenly
   dropped from one source.

5) If one tuner goes away because it's on a different backend than the
   others and that machine is shut down or mythbackend is stopped on it,
   the scheduler will remove the recording from its upcoming recordings
   list. When you bring the slave backend back on line, the recording will
   be added back to the earlier timeslot.

There are probably other possibilities, but these are the ones that spring
immediately to mind.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com