[mythtv-users] Choppy DVD playback

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Sun Apr 15 13:19:46 UTC 2007

On Apr 15, 2007, at 12:59 AM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> I am trying to use my Myth Box as a dvd player but the video is
> really choppy.  I have read most of these problems have to do with
> DMA not being enabled.
>
> For me it is enabled and i still get choppy playback...
>
> Some info on my box...
>
> FC6
> P4 3.4Ghz
> 512MB RAM
> PVR-150 & HDhomerun
> Nvidia 6200 with component out and XvMC enabled
>
> What else could be the problem?

Possible problems of the top of my head. Various bit of info and how
to test and fix should be in the archives. Start with the simple and
work your way to the more complex :)

1) XvMC is interfering with the play back. Try XV alone

2) Verify the problem with all three players: Internal, mplayer, and
xine. If you find one player that is better than another that may
help you debug the issue

3) Sound card buffering is causing the playback problem. This is way
more common than you think.

4) Refresh rate of you monitor is not a multiple of the playback rate
resulting in judder. You can find more information on judder by
searching 'dvd judder' and judder test linux' on Google. Chances are
this is not what your noticing though as few people seem to :)

--
Scott