[mythtv-users] How well does MythTV use threads?

Larry Sanderson larry.sanderson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 13:22:52 UTC 2007

> Right now, Intel's latest and greatest is so, so much better than
> AMD's latest and greatest (and that much more so than Intel's
> previous latest and greatest) that anyone who buys something other
> than it to build a MythTV box--as notorious a horsepower-drainer as
> anything out there--ought to have very good reasons for doing so.

Like price?  Newegg is selling the 65W AMD 64 x2 4200 for $99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103741

This is a dual core, 2.2GHz processor.  Intel is selling their Core 2
Duo E4300 (dual core, 1.8 GHz processor) for $140 at New Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115013

Given the choice between these two processors, I would recommend the AMD
for raw horsepower and price.

Everyone agrees that Intel has the better chips out right now... even
AMD.  That's why AMD has recently slashed prices on their low to mid
range chips and has established the better $/performance ratio.  That
said, if you are interested in building the fastest machine possible,
then Intel is your company right now.

-Larry