[mythtv-users] Proof of Concept a success!

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Mon Apr 16 15:01:31 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2007, at 8:24 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>

> Of course it can, with the resultant increase in time taken. How long
> do you want to wait for your DVD? If you start it when you go to bed
> it's going to be ready when you wake up, but if you promised a disk
> to someone and are waiting for it to finish before you rush off to ...
>
> How soon after recording a show do you want your commflag job to be
> finished? If you plan to watch it next week then swapping doesn't
> matter much, but...

I was planning on having my DVD Burner / Reader in the FE.  Is that not
a good thing?  (And, obviously, the consensus is to have the 1Gb in the
FE too)

>>> But honestly, building any machine other than a NAS device or perhaps
>>> a file/print or even a mail server with less than 1GB of RAM is
>>> unusual these days, given the low prices. Certainly anything intended
>>> to drive a monitor would have that much RAM unless put together from
>>> the "junk drawer".
>>>
>> I agree, 1GB minimum for both is the best way to go, but in this case
>> I still think it would be nicer to have the 1GB on the FE and let the
>> backend use the 512MB and just swap more.

Hey -- so far I have myth running on . . . let's not say "junk" -- but
definitely "spare" equipment.

-Dave

--

David Frascone

             Truck Pulls: for people who cannot understand the WWF