[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:35:24 UTC 2007

<snip>
> so, is it fairly safe to say that with Linux installed the macmini
> Core duo 1.66GHz+ makes a great frontend (with a bit of work)?
> i was considering upgrading my FE/BE system to handle HD output.  but
> maybe i'll just leave it as is and make it a dedicated BE and pick up
> a mini as my FE...
> any caveats?

I would just like to chime in and say that I too have been using a Mac
Mini as a frontend.  It has replaced a Shuttle system in my living
room while I'm waiting on some ram to be rma'd.  After actually
getting linux installed, there's no real difference than using a PC.
It has not effected my waf  :)

The only problem that I have with mine is the broken i810 video
drivers in regards to DVI.  When using DVI, I'm stuck at 640x480.
Using VGA everything is fine.  This is the only major draw back for
me.  I've spent many o' hours trying to get around this...

Just my $0.02

-Bill