[mythtv-users] BE Disk / Filesystem Layout

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Apr 17 22:04:21 UTC 2007

On 17 Apr 2007, at 17:20, Brian Wood wrote:
> There were a couple of threads mentioned here in the last month or 2
> that came from other lists, and a couple of folks who *purport* to do
> data recovery for a living claimed that ...
>
> Please note that this is third-hand information from a non-
> authoritative source. For all I know those posts came from marketing
> people for the mentioned manufacturers.

I can assure you that the poster mentioned by name in the thread I
linked to does not merely PURPORT to recover data for a living - he
certainly bailed me out when the hard-drive of a customers' machine
died whilst I was working on it. There was no way I could take it
back to the customer and say "you know how it was crashing sometimes
& I was supposed to fix that? Well, I lost all your data, instead".
Another customer of mine was very pleased with his "purported" work
when I arrived on site after the drive failure.

Yes, I appreciate this is anecdotal, not empirical, evidence but as
opinions go (on the subject of the most reliable brands of hard-drive
to buy) I can't think of anyone's opinion I'd rather trust. With all
respect to yourself I'd certainly trust Odie's opinion on the subject
more than yours, and I'm not quite sure why you bothered mentioning
which drives you've personally found reliable (or otherwise) when you
then went on to describe such hearsay as "diluted, suspect" and
"questionable".

:P

Stroller.