[mythtv-users] What to do when you can't remember the password for mysql

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 20 16:30:39 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> OK, a while ago, I setup MythTV on my home server (with a PVR-350 card)
> on FC5 before Jarod had updated his instructions for FC5.  I muddled
> through the installation, using a combination of the FC4 and FC3
> instructions, and using RPMS from ATRPMS, I got MySQL, ivtv, and mythtv
> all installed an running.  Woo Hoo!
>
> I was able to add a new PC5500-HD card to my setup this past Christmas
> without any problem.  Great!  Cool!
>
> Now, I want to add a remote frontend.  This requires a change to the
> MySQL setup.  I have to issue a GRANT command like so:
>
>>     $ mysql -u root mythconverg
>>     mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
>>     mysql> flush privileges;
>
> My problem?  When I try and login to mysql I can't remember the password
> I used for root!  I am able to login as mythtv, but trying to issue the
> "grant all" command gives me:
>
> ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' to
> database 'mythconverg'

User mythtv is not authorized to create new users so that access is denied.

User 'root' in mysql is orginally created with NO password, Did you try:

su - <enter>
mysql -u root -p<enter>

That might get you in.

Otherwise follow the instructions here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

And read the comments on that page: they discuss some 'gotchas'.

> Am I scrod?  Can anyone tell me how to re-gain root access to my mysql
> database?

Pedantic nitpick... That should be 'Be I scrod?' since of course,
'scrod' is the subjunctive form of the verb......LOL

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor

         o905-271-9600 f905-271-1638