[mythtv-users] Wireless Frontend

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Mon Apr 23 18:31:22 UTC 2007

A friend from another list suggested putting a parabolic reflector on the
router's antenna to increase throughput. I am pasting his email in its
entirety (conrains instructions and templates).

> On Sun, April 22, 2007 10:14 am, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
>
> > If your physical layout allows, a directional antenna on the WAP can
> > improve signal strength both ways.  Decreasing the angular coverage
> > from 360 degrees to 120 or 90 degrees is a good thing.
> >
> >     carl
>
> 120 on the router is very doable. It is at one end of the house. The
> antenna on the router is a stub, presumed 360. Where does one get a
> directional? I could also do a directional on the Myth box.

Put a parabolic reflector on the stub antenna.  You can build one out
of cardboard and aluminum foil.  Quote from archived kplug
correspondence:

> On 12/27/06, Carl Lowenstein <carl.lowenstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > You can build a parabolic reflector that has 9dB to 12dB of gain,
> > horizontally directional, out of cardboard and aluminum foil.  I use
> > it to direct my wireless signals away from the street and toward the
> > other side of the house.
> >
> > < http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html >

> After sending this message, I went to look at the original web site,
> and found that the template for cutting the cardboard had disappeared.
> So I found it using the Wayback machine.

> For a while, it will be at
>  < ftp://ftp.mpl.ucsd.edu/pub/cdl/windsurfer.ps.gz >.
> Two polar directivity plots and templates for the two pieces
< and some instructions.

Still there at "my" ftp site.

    carl

On Mon, April 23, 2007 10:34 am, James Warden wrote:
> Congrats Chuck :D
>
> J.
>
> "Charles H. Chapman" <ccmail at bellsouth.net> wrote: > Is there anybody
> using MythTV Frontend 0.20 over a wireless connection
>> 802.11B/G (at nominal 54MB/s)?
>
> 802.11/G works perfectly for me, even for HD viewing.  Doing the following
> will greatly improve your chances of using 802.11/G successfully:
>
>  - Limit the maximum data rate to something less than 54MB/s (like 48 or
> 36
> MB/s) to elminate TCP/IP retries.
>  - Turn off encryption and use MAC filtering instead to increase
> bandwidth.
>  - Recognize that only channels 1, 6, and 11 can operate independently
> (i.e., if you're on channel 1, you'll get interference from nearbly users
> on
> channels 2-5 but not from users on channel 6 and above, etc.).
>
> Taking thses steps allows me to view stutter-free HD content on my laptop
> anywhere on my property, including out in the backyard by the pool, and
> I'm
> just using a plain-vanilla unenhanced Linksys router/AP.
>
> Chuck

Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer