[mythtv-users] Stop MythTV from recording generic listings?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Apr 24 21:40:04 UTC 2007

Craig Fry wrote:
> On 4/24/07, *Paul Bender* <pebender at san.rr.com
> <mailto:pebender at san.rr.com>> wrote:
>
>     Craig Fry wrote:
>      > How can I stop MTV from recording generic listings?   For instance, I
>      > want to record the Simpsons but ONLY when it has a proper
>     listing.  So
>      >
>      > The Simpsons
>      > Homer and Marge Simpson raise Bart, Lisa and baby Maggie
>      >
>      > doesn't record but
>      >
>      > The Simpsons: Jazzy and the Pussycats
>      > The White Stripes perform in a benefit concert for Bart, whose
>     arm was
>      > mangled by a tiger.
>      >
>      > does.
>      >
>      > How can I do that?
>
>     I use a custom recording schedule with the following search phrase:
>
>     program.title="The Simpsons" AND program.seriesid= "SH018693" AND
>     program.programid NOT LIKE "%0000"

Good answer and that will work but is a little more than needed.
It can be simplified to this:

program.title = 'The Simpsons'
AND program.generic = 0

For future reference, you could do this with just a few keystrokes.
Find "The Simpsons" (or some other title) on any scheduling page.
Press "E"dit to bring up the customedit page. Press right arrow to
find "Exclude unidentified episodes" then press "Add" then "Record".
Nothing needs to be typed in just E, Exclude..., Add, Record.

> Very nice.  Did the trick.  Would be nice to have as an option though.

As John pointed out some of these simple, common custom tricks
have been added into the standard duplicate options for SVN/0.21.

You could possibly use the old "Record new episodes only" dup
option because generic episodes are not new. However, I assume
in the case of the Simpsons, you do want to record old episodes
when they are identified but you don't want the generics where
you can't keep track of what you have and have not seen.

--  bjm