[mythtv-users] OT: Optimising 50Hz over 60Hz VGA (was: Smoother video playback?)

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 11:01:02 UTC 2007

On 11 Apr 2007, at 00:49, Stroller wrote:

>> The only solution I can see is to get a video card with component TV
>> Out; I'm not sure this annoyance merits the £40 expenditure.
>
> I think you might notice the quality improvement from this. I guess
> it depends on how much your time / entertainment is worth - how long
> have you spent discussing this already, and how long could you easily
> spend tinkering with modelines in your xorg.conf? I'll bet one could
> easily spend 10 hours arsing around, in which case you'd only be
> saving yourself £4 / hour even if you DID get it all working.
>
> There are lots of places you can buy these cards which have an
> accommodating returns policy - under the Distance Selling Act you can
> now return a product for any reason. I happen to know that PC World
> sell PNY cards with a component-out dongle, so it doesn't need to
> cost you anything to try.

Hmm, well I bought a PNY 6200 card which has an "HDTV Breakout Box"
with it, only to find that that means it has an S-Video -> Composite
cable. Helpful! Talking to PNY Tech Support at the moment to find out
if there was something missing from my box, or whether that's what
they call an HDTV Breakout Box.

I also tried a DVI -> Component adapter, but it would seem that my TV
doesn't like RGB over component, it just said "No Signal" the whole
time no matter what my xorg.conf had in it. I guess I should have
read that bit on Jarod's guide about HDTV!

Ben