[mythtv-users] Looking to set up a new Myth Box.

Razza ray at brambletree.net
Wed Apr 25 22:55:20 UTC 2007

Douglas Wagner wrote on 25 April 2007 22:07:
----------------8< SNIP! >8----------------
To start with, it is incorrect that you cannot use MythTV with a satellite.
The trick however is getting the signal from your Satellite box TO your
MythTV Box capture/tuner card.

The problem here is that typically Satellite stations are encrypted, and
passing an encrypted signal to MythTV won't do you any good at all.  I
believe that the OTA channels and some of the  other Satellite channels are
required to be unencrypted or are carried unencrypted, but if you have any
notions at all of recording an HBO or Pay Per View movie on your Myth Box, I
believe you are well out of luck (someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm
sure.)

You can (conceptually) connect your LNB direct to a suitable DVB-S card and
completely lose the STB altogether, which is what I think Douglas is saying.

He is slightly incorrect on the encrypted channels piece, if you buy a DVB-S
card with a suitable CI slot (e.g. Technotrend Budget 1500-S and daughter CI
board), it is likely your CAM will be supported. Check the LinuxTV site
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_Conditional_Access_Modules