[mythtv-users] Xorg CPU usage - stuttering video

Eric erpo41 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 00:26:34 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm having a problem running mythtv. I've tried searching on google and
asking in the #mythtv-users support channel on IRC--no satisfactory
answers so far.

When I first boot my system, log in, and run mythtvfrontend, everything
seems to work fine. CPU usage is low, even with mythcommflag running.
But after many hours of watching recorded TV or navigating the menu,
video playback gets choppy. The sound skips a little and the framerate
reduces to an uneven 15 or 20fps (this is my guess from looking at the
screen). If I check top when the system is having this problem, I see
that Xorg is using almost all of the CPU time.

The "half" fix is to press the forward button followed the back button
on my remote--that fixes the stuttering sound but the video remains
choppy. Xorg CPU usage remains high. After a while, the sound stuttering
comes back.

The "full" fix is to kill the X server with ctrl-alt-backspace, log back
in, and run mythtvfrontend. After doing this, Xorg CPU usage goes back
to normal. Of course, if I keep mythfrontend running for several more
hours, the problem crops up again.

HARDWARE
--------
CPU: Athlon XP 2500+ (1.83GHz)
MEM: 1GB DDR PC333
Video: XFX GeForce 6800 (NOT ultra)
System HDD: Seagate ATA 160GB
Video HDD: Seagate SATA 250GB
Tuner: Hauppauge PVR-150
Remote: Microsoft MCE remote with USB IR receiver (came with the
PVR-150)

SOFTWARE
--------
OS: Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10
Kernel: Linux eric-desktop 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35
UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
Video driver: nVidia binary driver v87.74
XvMC: "XvMC Standard" reported by mythtvfrontend

If you can provide any insight into this problem, I would really
appreciate it. :)

Thank you,

Eric