[mythtv-users] Looking to set up a new Myth Box.

Cole Brodine cbrodine at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:48:02 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2007, at 21:51, Brian Walter wrote:
> > To do HD from satellite is *expensive*, and requires a modified set
> > top
> > box, and an intermediate box (basically an XP or Linux box,
> > depending on
> > the solution), which *then* transmitts the signal via Firewire to
> > Myth.
>
> This is not strictly true, although it may (??) be an accurate
> generalisation in North America.
>
> Recording HD from satellite is trivial, _IF_ it is free-to-air on
> your satellite. As I understand it encrypted pay programming will
> have the same problems whether it is SD or HD.
>
> Stroller.

Shiloh,

There is going to be a lot of conflicting information for you here,
especially if people don't know where you are located.  Here's a few things
that I know about recording Satellite (particularly a mini-dish system) in
the United States.

DirecTV has serial inputs on some of it's boxes, allowing you to change
channels, turn it on and off, etc.  As far as I know Dish Network does not
have any usable serial inputs.  You'll need an IR Blaster to change
channels.  There's some information on the wiki about setting up an IR
blaster to work with Dish Network (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LIRC).
FYI, on most of the DirecTV boxes, the serial inputs look like a RJ-45 or
phone jack.  You usually need an adapter to hook them up to a standard
serial cable.

The DVB boards that were talked about earlier are not legally available in
the US for DirecTV or Dish Network service.  You will have to have a 1 set
top box (STB) and 1 TV Tuner card PER STREAM.  I.E. To record on channel and
watch another or to record two channels, you will have to have a STB and a
card for each one.  You will also have to have an IR blaster for every STB.
Firewire connections are also not available with US satellite service.

Recording of HD from a satellite service in the US is not impossible, just
an absolute nightmare of partially working components and what may or may
not be breaking the law.  (I'm no lawyer)  If you haven't setup a Standard
Definition MythTV with a satellite box yet, I recommend ignoring HD all
together for now.  My personal recommendation for recording HD would be to
record off the air (OTA) or to switch to Cable TV, depending on which
provider is in your area.  If you are determined to record HD at HD
resolutions from Dish Network, somebody here can probably help you, but once
again, not recommended for your first system.

The most common setup with satellite in the US is an analog capture card
with a STB or 2 of each if you want to record more then one program at a
time.

I personally didn't want to pay for a second STB, so I just installed a
second card and hooked it up to an antenna to receive HD signals and
standard OTA signals.

If you want to chat directly with me, I know a thing or two about setting up
MythTV with a satellite service in the United States, so if you are located
here, feel free to contact me directly.  I don't have Yahoo, MSN or AIM at
work, but I can use Google Talk with this e-mail address.

Anybody else feel free to correct me.  Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Cole Brodine

Visit My Website at http://www.brodine.com/
Blog: http://rabbitinhiding.blogspot.com/