[mythtv-users] Control Cabel Box with USB?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 26 15:48:09 UTC 2007

On 04/26/2007 11:29 AM, Brian Walter wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> No but you can buy expensive haked boxes that provide firewire.
>> Don't most of those provide firewire by reading from the sat box into a
>> Windows box which outputs firewire to the Myth box?  I.e. going from one
>> middleman (the STB) to 2 (the STB and a Windows box) for each capture
>> card in Myth.
> Depends on the solution, but, you send them a STB, they add the
> firewire, and it goes to either a linux box or an xp box, which then can
> be firewired to myth.
Oh.  All of them I had seen needed Windows because the firewire output
they got from the STB was in a proprietary format for which the only
application they had to decode that format to get the video stream was a
Windows app.  From the Windows box, you could take the decoded video
stream and output it using standard firewire, i.e. to the Myth box.
However, I haven't looked in a couple of years because it was just too
insane an idea (and possibly illegal thanks to the DMCA).

Mike