[mythtv-users] What to do...

Stewart stl19847 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 01:01:41 UTC 2007

My 350 has a cable that came with it that allows you to use S-Video or
Composite video (the red, white, and yellow RCA connectors).  I can use
the composite if I would get better results.

I've got an old NVidia TNT2 card in the box that I can use, but I doubt
it's up to snuff for much.

Stewart

Rich West wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> So, I have a working setup on ANALOG CABLE and I'm exceedingly happy
>>> with it.
>>>
>>> But, I got a new HD TV. Output on the new TV is sub-par. I think this
>>> has much to do with the output to the TV being NTSC and the TV having to
>>> stretch it to fit, so I'd like some advice or thoughts on how best to
>>> handle it.
>>>
>>> I've currently got a Hauppauge 150 and a 350.   TV out is through the
>>> 350.  This is running on an Athlon 950.
>>>
>>> The native resolution on the new TV is 1366x768.   Can I simply use the
>>> video output from the standard video card and change the resolution to
>>> 1366x768?  What kind of load would that put on the machine?  It's an old
>>> Athlon 950Mhz box.
>>>
>> Without help from XvMC you have just about no chance of playing back HD
>> with that CPU. Even with XvMC I doubt you will have much luck.
>>
>> I wish I had better news, but that's pretty much the conclusions of the
>> folks here.
>
> I think he meant up-scaling the SD video to display nicely on the
> 1366x768 screen.
>
> With TV-out via the 350, you're limited to S-Video, right?
> Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do with S-Video.. you're locked
> in to interlaced video and forcing the TV to attempt to scale.
>
> If you dropped a decent nVidia video card in to the machine, you could
> do DVI->HDMI out (if the TV has HDMI) an display at 720p. Also enable
> "de-interlace video" and enable "Bob (2x framerate).  This would make
> the SD recordings a bit more bearable.  There would still be some
> stretching involved because you would be taking a 4:3 frame and
> expanding it out to 16:9, but I think you would be happy with the results.
>
> My main concern would be the speed of the box.  It should be able to
> handle it, but I can't make any guarantees.
>
> -Rich

Stewart Larsen
--
This sig intentionally left blank, other than this text explaining that
if not for this text, this sig would be blank.