[mythtv-users] OT: need help on cable TV splitters

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 12:38:53 UTC 2007

On 4/28/07, Rudy Zijlstra <mythtv at grumpydevil.homelinux.org> wrote:
> William Munson wrote:
> > Brian Long wrote:
> >
> >> On 4/28/07, *Marc Barrett* <mnealbarrett at cox.net
> >> <mailto:mnealbarrett at cox.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     I need to split my cable TV's signal several times, with as little
> >>     degradation as possible.  So I am looking for advice on what
> >>     splitters to use.
> >>

> >> Marc,
> >>
> >> I've been using a Radio Shack powered 4-way splitter for about 2 years
> >> and it's been great.  I set the amplifier at its lowest setting.  It's
> >> not cheap, but it works like a charm.
> >>
> >> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103093
> >>
> >> /Brian/
> >>

> > Just be aware that your cable modem and interactive cable box may not
> > work behind the amplified splitter. Both of them talk back to the
> > central office and the amp may block that.
> >
> As the amp in the link is a bi-directional amp, their should be no
> problem with the communication to the head-end.

My understanding is your cableco should be providing enough signal
strength for at least 3 to four devices without the need for a cable
amp. Call your cableco and see if this is the case, and if so, buy a
good quality 3 or 4 way splitter designed for digital cable (wider
frequency range) and if you still have issues have them send a tech
out to see why your signal strength is so low, they may end up
installing a cable amp free of charge.

Also, as someone mentioned, if your not using an output of a splitter
you should really put a terminator on that output, these can be found
at radio shack/home depot/etc. for cheap.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!