[mythtv-users] some general ratpoison questions

Brian Guilfoos mythtv at guilfoos.com
Mon Apr 30 13:34:46 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:
> I'm running FC6 on my frontend systems with it automatically logging in
> the mythtv user, but, as you can guess, there are times when mythtv
> exits (usually due to a error on my part) and I have to go to a
> computer, VNC in, and start it up.
>
> I see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frontend_Auto_Login covers
> *some* of this, but I am not sure if it meshes well with FC6...

I'm running FC5, but this is what I did:

1) Set up the box to boot into runlevel 3, and autologin the mythtv user
on tty7.  In /etc/inittab make sure the default line reads
     id:3:initdefault:
and add this line at the bottom
     c7:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin mythtv tty7
2) added this to mythtv's .bash_profile
     if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty7 ]; then
     while [ 1 == 1 ]
       do
         startx
         sleep 10
       done
     fi

3) use this mythtv's .xinitrc
     xset -dpms s off
     xsetroot -solid black
     ratpoison &
     mythfrontend -l /home/mythtv/mythfrontend.log 2>&1

It'll autologin, start X, start ratpoison, and start mythfrontend.  If
mythfrontend crashes or exits, X closes, and the shell sleeps for 10
seconds and restarts X (and thus ratpoison and mythfrontend).  I can SSH
in and look at the log if I want.