[mythtv-users] Does such a cable exist? (DVI+SPDIF->HDMI)

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 30 20:09:29 UTC 2007

I'm back with more questions...

Hi, I'm wondering whether a cable exists that would allow me to
combine the DVI out of my gfx card with the SPDIF out of my mobo into
a HDMI cable (which I could then just plug into my TV).

See, my TV has a DVI port (which is designed for a PC), but audio is
carried over a standard analogue cable. Due to some complicated
reasons (to do with video, not sound), I'd rather use the HDMI port.
However I'm struggling to find a viable solution to getting audio down
the cable.

I've seen several graphics cards with HDMI out, which also have an
internal spdif header allowing audio passthru). However these are like
unicorns (everybody's heard of one, nobody's seen one). I'm in the UK
and can't seem to find ANYWHERE selling one). Also many of them have
been discontinued (don't know why).

The only other solution I could think off was to somehow combine DVI +
SPDIF into HDMI *outside the box*. I think I'm right in saying that
HDMI is actually just DVI w/ SPDIF (please correct me if i'm wrong, I
probably am). So, does anyone know a way to do this, or any other
options that exist for achieving the same thing.

Thanks in advance, James

Oh and for anyone asking why. When watching video thru my DVI port, my
TV drops frames (wtf? i know). I can switch it into 'TV' mode, but
working modelines are near impossible to get, and it's all a bit
*hacky*. The HDMI *does* report correct modelines, so I'd like to use
that if possible. I don't have a separate sound system, so running an
SPDIF cable separately to a different system is out of the question.
Just to add a bit of info...