[mythtv-users] OT: Monitoring CPU/Internal Temperature through Linux

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 22:01:51 UTC 2007

I'm sure this is easily done, i'm just not sure how to hook it.

As part of my "Why did my myth box just shut off on me...why isn't it
booting back up...why does the motherboard always go out on me when this
sort of thing happens" project, I decided that I wasn't happy with having a
massive tower case sitting on top of my living room entertainment center, so
I bought a "media" case for it that would fit into a compartment in my
center.

Now, the compartment isn't huge...as a matter of fact it's got maybe half
inch clearance on top and about that much on each side if i'm lucky.  The
case has input slots for air on the whole top and all down the sides so
hopefully the half inch clearance on each should be enough to let the cool
air in, and it'll all blow out the back (the back of the compartment in the
center will be "open" mostly so hopefully it'll allow enough hot air out).

This said, I'd like to not burn up a motherboard/cpu combo...the wife is
already complaining about how much her "free" PVR has cost in recent months
(Had to add an HD localy, setup a new NAS system with more space, and now a
CPU/Motherboard/Power Supply blowup...that's what I get for running older
hardware) and I'd like NOT to have to explain why her PVR needs another
motherboard and CPU in it 3 months from now.

So, in short, I'd like to get something somewhat graphical that I could
watch the CPU/Internal temp with that could comfort me that i'm not running
150deg in the case.

The motherboard is newish (if a little lower end, it's a lower end ASUS),
and I know it's bios has the standard "PC Health" area to see fan speeds and
whatnot.  Is there any software to run that will give me access to the
values that the MB is putting out?

Again, I'm sure this is VERY basic...running KDE.

--Douglas Wagner